Re: [Bacula-devel] feature request

> I initially suggested RAIT to the submitter, but he said he was not
> considering that -- if I remember right RAIT actually requires
something
> like
> 5 tape drives. Maybe I am wrong on that though, because I looked at
the
> code
> about 5 years ago.

It's like RAID -- you need one more drive than you want to use to store
data. The current LLNL RAIT library code supports 2, 3, and 5 drive
stripes (1+1, 2+1, and 4+1 data+parity). It wouldn't be hard to expand
that to larger stripe sizes if need be, but probably not all that
interesting unless done as described below.

>  In any case, once you are talking about an LTO4 drive, it is
currently
> impossible or nearly so to drive it full speed (except possibly by
some
> high
> end IBM mainframes), so why complicate things when Bacula still lacks
> lot
> of nice features ... :-)

True, although with multiple 10G Ethernets and RTSP you can get pretty
close to making a LTO4 sweat a little....8-). FICON Express
multi-pathing is a lovely thing.

Something like this would be more profitably be implemented as a virtual
volume storage manager independent of a tool like Bacula. Hmm...