Re: [Bacula-devel] feature request

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 18:06:38 David Boyes wrote:
> > > That Bacula be modified to enable the simultaneous use of multiple
>
> tape
>
> > > drives, either as a bunch of freestanding units or as multiple
>
> drives in
>
> > > an autochanger.
> > > [snip]
> > > A device pool maybe?
> >
> > Technically I don't know how to do this project.
>
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/RAIT_Device
>
> might be one way. The RAIT code they're using was developed at LLNL, and
> is GPL-friendly, I believe.
>
> The separate manual drive approach would work with this, or you could
> simply treat them as 1 drive autochangers and implement a script
> extension for 'mtx load' to issue operator messages on those drives
> rather than drive an actual autochanger. Ugly, but it would work.

I initially suggested RAIT to the submitter, but he said he was not
considering that -- if I remember right RAIT actually requires something like
5 tape drives. Maybe I am wrong on that though, because I looked at the code
about 5 years ago.

 In any case, once you are talking about an LTO4 drive, it is currently
impossible or nearly so to drive it full speed (except possibly by some high
end IBM mainframes), so why complicate things when Bacula still lacks a lot
of nice features ... :-)