Re: [Bacula-devel] feature request

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM, David Boyes <dboyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > That Bacula be modified to enable the simultaneous use of multiple
> tape
>> > drives, either as a bunch of freestanding units or as multiple
> drives in
>> > an autochanger.
>> > [snip]
>> > A device pool maybe?
>>
>> Technically I don't know how to do this project.
>
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/RAIT_Device
>
> might be one way. The RAIT code they're using was developed at LLNL, and
> is GPL-friendly, I believe.
>
> The separate manual drive approach would work with this, or you could
> simply treat them as 1 drive autochangers and implement a script
> extension for 'mtx load' to issue operator messages on those drives
> rather than drive an actual autochanger. Ugly, but it would work.

I was thinking of this concept when Kern described the block problem,
however I still would consider this difficult since the tape format
would have to change and volume and tape management would somehow need
to be altered to understand that some volumes require more than one
tape to be loaded.

John