Re: [Bacula-devel] Bacula Windows Client 64bit build.

Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 July 2008 12:30:42 Riyas Y. wrote:

>> We could successfully backup and restore using the ported 64 bit windows
>> bacula client.
>> We are still unsure whether these warnings will cause some serious
>> problems later.
>>

> I cannot tell you because I have not seen the warnings.
>

>> Similarly we removed the _USE_32BIT_TIME_T preprocessor for 64 bit
>> windows architecture.
>> We are also unsure whether this will cause any problems.
>>

> I have never seen the _USE_32BIT_TIME_T preprocessor define, so I cannot
> comment.  In general (maybe not 100%) Bacula can accept time_t values greater
> than 32 bits.  However, removing the #define is for the moment rather useless
> because we have many years to go before time overflows.

Windows normally uses a 64-bit time_t, so I believe the intent of that
define is to force the use of 32-bit time_t, which may be useful if
compiling older source that assigned time_t values to int variables,
etc. I doubt it is relevant, since Bacula almost certainly always uses
time_t for time values.

> Since you are using Microsoft C++, which we do not support, there very well
> could be some 32/64 bit problems depending on how they define things.  Using
> a different C compiler requires porting and needs very careful testing.  I
> personally would not run such a program in production without careful
> examination of a lot of things and testing for at least a month.

I think porting would be required anyway, in a sense. AFAIK, only 32-bit
versions have been tested. The mingw-w64 compiler
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/) might be an easier port
than MS VC++.