Re: [Bacula-devel] MySQL, PostgreSQL the names of the fields and case sensitive

Yuri Timofeev wrote:
> I made a few mistakes in the code examples of scripts, but generally
> all right ;)
>
> Yes, of course, names for MySQL "correct". They must be taken as a basis.
>
> Database, table, field and columns names in PostgreSQL are
> case-independent, unless you created them with double-quotes
> around their name, in which case they are case-sensitive.
> Note: that PostgreSQL actively converts all non-quoted names to lower
> case and so returns lower case in query results.
>
> In MySQL, table names can be case-sensitive or not, depending on which
> operating system you are using.
>
> Therefore, if the PostgreSQL to create a table like this:
>
> CREATE TABLE "Filename" ( "FilenameId" ..., "Name" ...);
>
> then refer to it as
>
> select filenameid, name from filename ...
>
> will fail.
>
> We should be
>
> select "FilenameId","Name" from "Filename" ...
>
> Therefore may be problems with backward compatibility.

No, please, let's not do this.  I don't think we should be "punishing"
the PostgreSQL users.  It is pretty much common and accepted practice to
not "quote" table names and column names.

I understand the goal.  I do not think this is the way to achieve it.