Re: [Bacula-devel] Windows backup / Linux bare-metal restore

Hello,

Some of this has already been noted by James Harper, but ...

It seems to me that you are not making best use of Bacula's features.  First,
if you are not setting Bacula to do VSS backups, you will never be able to
get all the permissions an ACL correct without a lot of work and calling
external programs as it seems you are doing.  Using Bacula's VSS feature,
should eliminate all that and allow you to restore virtually every bit back
to your machine.  In addition, it can probably also save and restore the
registry.  The hardest part is getting your machine restored to a state where
the Bacula FD can run.

There have been a good number of successful implementations of Win32 bare
metal recovery, the most used is probably the BartPE implementation.  Win32
is not a system that I enjoy working on, so I cannot provide any additional
insight, but hopefully this will help you.

Regards,

Kern