Re: [Bacula-devel] Feature request: Maximum Volume Bytes in Storage resource

Hi,

On Thursday 10 July 2008, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> I am not sure what you are really requesting here.
>
> Are you simply requesting not to deprecate the Maximum Volume Size in the
> SD or is there something more to this?

Your point to remove the Maximum Volume Size in the SD configuration is quite
valid; it should be the director's task to limit the volume size.

> You seem to be requesting to add two new directives that do the same
> thing????

I'm requesting to add the possibility to use the "Maximum Volume Bytes"
directive in the "Storage" resource (bacula-dir.conf!) also, with the exact
same meaning that it has in the Pool resource.

If we had this directive, the "Maximum Volume Size" in the SD could of course
be dropped as planned.

I do understand that my requirements are possibly not "mainstream", and that
the catalog schema would have to be changed (additional attribute(s) in
the "Storage" table). On the other hand, my understanding of Pools is that
media of different types may be part of one pool, and a common "Maximum
Volume Size" will often not be sensible there.

> On Wednesday 09 July 2008 14:28:52 Bastian Friedrich wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to submit the following feature request; it is not a crucial
> > one, but it should at least be considered before removing the deprecated
> > "Maximum Volume Size" statement in the storage daemon.
> >
> > Item n:   Add MaxVolumeSize/MaxVolumeBytes statement to Storage resource
> >   Origin: Bastian Friedrich <bastian.friedrich@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >   Date:   2008-07-09
> >
> >   What:   SD has a "Maximum Volume Size" statement, which is deprecated
> > and superseded by the Pool resource statement "Maximum Volume Bytes". It
> > would be good if either statement could be used in Storage resources.
> >
> >   Why:    Pools do not have to be restricted to a single storage
> > type/device; thus, it may be impossible to define Maximum Volume Bytes in
> > the Pool resource. The old MaxVolSize statement is deprecated, as it is
> > SD side only.
> >           I am using the same pool for different devices.
> >
> >   Notes:  State of idea currently unknown. Storage resources in the dir
> > config currently translate to very slim catalog entries; these entries
> > would require extensions to implement what is described here. Quite
> > possibly, numerous other statements that are currently available in Pool
> > resources could be used in Storage resources too quite well.

Best regards
   Bastian

--
Collax GmbH . Burkheimer Straße 3 . 79111 Freiburg . Germany
p: +49 (0) 761-45684-24

Geschäftsführer: William K. Hite / Boris Nalbach
AG München HRB 158898 . Ust.-IdNr: DE 814464942
\ True happiness will be found only in true love.