Re: [Bacula-devel] Bat

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 14:12:43 Dirk Bartley wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 10:20 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 June 2008 13:48:26 Dirk H Bartley wrote:
> > > I think we would just need to check and make sure that all of
> > > the .status commands worked.  At this point, I can't think of any other
> > > changes in the core that would be required.
> >
> > Thanks.  I have tried the trunk bat and found that it more or less works,
> > but as you say, it requires the new status code that I added in the core.
> >  For the moment, the core changes are to important to back port to 2.4 --
> > perhaps in a later version, so I am abandoning the idea of backporting
> > the trunk bat changes to 2.4.x for the moment.
> >
> > =====
> >
> > On the subject of development:
> > The one feature of bat that is my favorite is the JobList view that shows
> > running and terminated jobs and their status.  It is a really nice way to
> > see what has happened for the backups for the previous night all in one
> > place.
> >
> > One additional feature that I would like would be a display that is
> > essentially identical to the JobList view, but shows only running jobs
> > and their progress. A first cut showing running jobs would be nice, and
> > is rather trivial to do IMO.
>
> Is there something missing from the director status page??

It is a good start, but as you see below, I'm thinking about displaying it in
a table, which is much easier to read, including more info like bytes/files
processed when the job is still running, and having the display refresh
itself at a user defined interval.  The primary purpose would be to show
running jobs and to use colors to indicate if they are stalled or blocked.
A secondary purpose or perhaps an option would be to show jobs that are
scheduled in the near future (5 mins) and jobs that have terminated in the
last x minutes.

> > However, what users really want is to show what jobs are running and  a
> > periodic update, including information it would get by doing "status dir"
> > that would include things such as whether or not the job was blocked
> > waiting on a Volume.
>
> My understanding is that is being done by the status dir page.  It has
> three tables.   Scheduled, running and terminated jobs tables exist.

Yes, that is true, but the display is hard to read.

> Are you thinking of adding a running jobs table to the joblist class??

Yes, I am thinking of creating a new joblist class or a variant that primarily
shows jobs that are running but as I mention above to include more info.

> > With slightly more work, we could make it periodically update the count
> > of files and bytes that have been saved, and even possibly list other
> > interesting data about running jobs.  This could be done by either doing
> > a status on the appropriate daemon, or I could ensure that the
> > information is transmitted back to the director in the base code and
> > reported in the "status dir".
>
> Now that would be so totally kewl.  The only thing that would be so
> totally kooler would be if there was a way to show a percent done.  That
> would require calculating the job before running it though which may be
> a burden.  It could always assume that the number of bytes it needs to
> back up is similar to the number of bytes backed up on the previous
> instance of the job.  Naaa, then what do you do for incremental and
> differential, Ugh.

Yes, a "real-time" display of the bytes and files saved along with a periodic
refresh would already be a nice enhancement.   If you want, I could easily
add code to Bacula core to give you a rough estimate of what the total
files/bytes will be -- thus you could put a % complete.  It could get that
information by making an average of say the last 100 jobs run for that Job
name of the same level.  It would not be perfect but it might be pretty good.

> > So, to get this project started, would either of you be interested in
> > setting up the basic "list running jobs" display that refreshes itself at
> > a user defined interval so that we can start working with it, then we can
> > discuss more in detail what kind of dynamic data could be easily obtained
> > to update the display?
>
> If you just draw me a verbal picture of what to change, I could possibly
> do it.

OK, thanks.  What I would like is a new "running.cpp" that is virtually
identical to joblist.cpp -- i.e. it has a menu item, it runs all the same
code, but the table that it shows has a %done column.  It needs to have
a "page" item in the left menu to select it, and the code can be identical to
the existing code.  That would give me a nice base to start changing to first
restrict it to running jobs only, adding some sort of %done calculation, and
getting more recent data from the Director rather than just pulling what is
in the catalog (probably a new API call that returns the current info but
dynamically).  If you could also make it periodically refresh itself, that
would be really super.

Certainly, I could create the new file, but hooking it into the pages,
modifying the .ui file, and making it refresh with a user time preference,
are really your specialty.

Thanks,

Kern