Re: [Bacula-devel] Bat

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 10:20 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Sunday 22 June 2008 13:48:26 Dirk H Bartley wrote:
> > I think we would just need to check and make sure that all of
> > the .status commands worked.  At this point, I can't think of any other
> > changes in the core that would be required.
>
> Thanks.  I have tried the trunk bat and found that it more or less works, but
> as you say, it requires the new status code that I added in the core.  For
> the moment, the core changes are to important to back port to 2.4 -- perhaps
> in a later version, so I am abandoning the idea of backporting the trunk bat
> changes to 2.4.x for the moment.
>
> =====
>
> On the subject of development:
> The one feature of bat that is my favorite is the JobList view that shows
> running and terminated jobs and their status.  It is a really nice way to see
> what has happened for the backups for the previous night all in one place.
>
> One additional feature that I would like would be a display that is
> essentially identical to the JobList view, but shows only running jobs and
> their progress. A first cut showing running jobs would be nice, and is rather
> trivial to do IMO.

Is there something missing from the director status page??

> However, what users really want is to show what jobs are running and  a
> periodic update, including information it would get by doing "status dir"
> that would include things such as whether or not the job was blocked waiting
> on a Volume.

My understanding is that is being done by the status dir page.  It has
three tables.   Scheduled, running and terminated jobs tables exist.
Are you thinking of adding a running jobs table to the joblist class??

> With slightly more work, we could make it periodically update the count of
> files and bytes that have been saved, and even possibly list other
> interesting data about running jobs.  This could be done by either doing a
> status on the appropriate daemon, or I could ensure that the information is
> transmitted back to the director in the base code and reported in the "status
> dir".

Now that would be so totally kewl.  The only thing that would be so
totally kooler would be if there was a way to show a percent done.  That
would require calculating the job before running it though which may be
a burden.  It could always assume that the number of bytes it needs to
back up is similar to the number of bytes backed up on the previous
instance of the job.  Naaa, then what do you do for incremental and
differential, Ugh.

> So, to get this project started, would either of you be interested in setting
> up the basic "list running jobs" display that refreshes itself at a user
> defined interval so that we can start working with it, then we can discuss
> more in detail what kind of dynamic data could be easily obtained to update
> the display?

If you just draw me a verbal picture of what to change, I could possibly
do it.