Re: [Bacula-devel] Bat

On Sunday 22 June 2008 13:48:26 Dirk H Bartley wrote:
> I think we would just need to check and make sure that all of
> the .status commands worked.  At this point, I can't think of any other
> changes in the core that would be required.

Thanks.  I have tried the trunk bat and found that it more or less works, but
as you say, it requires the new status code that I added in the core.  For
the moment, the core changes are to important to back port to 2.4 -- perhaps
in a later version, so I am abandoning the idea of backporting the trunk bat
changes to 2.4.x for the moment.

=====

On the subject of development:
The one feature of bat that is my favorite is the JobList view that shows
running and terminated jobs and their status.  It is a really nice way to see
what has happened for the backups for the previous night all in one place.

One additional feature that I would like would be a display that is
essentially identical to the JobList view, but shows only running jobs and
their progress. A first cut showing running jobs would be nice, and is rather
trivial to do IMO.

However, what users really want is to show what jobs are running and  a
periodic update, including information it would get by doing "status dir"
that would include things such as whether or not the job was blocked waiting
on a Volume.

With slightly more work, we could make it periodically update the count of
files and bytes that have been saved, and even possibly list other
interesting data about running jobs.  This could be done by either doing a
status on the appropriate daemon, or I could ensure that the information is
transmitted back to the director in the base code and reported in the "status
dir".

So, to get this project started, would either of you be interested in setting
up the basic "list running jobs" display that refreshes itself at a user
defined interval so that we can start working with it, then we can discuss
more in detail what kind of dynamic data could be easily obtained to update
the display?

PS: You may have noted that I recently committed some minor changes to the
restore code.  It was not properly handling Win32 drive letters when there
was more than one drive backed up.  It seems to be OK now.

PPS: Riccardo, thanks for adding all the translation code.  I saw the patches,
but in actually looking at the code for the restore bug, I realized how much
work it really was.  :-)