Re: [Bacula-devel] Build problem 2.4.1-b1

Hello,

Yes, I don't know who decided that all strings are by default constant in the
new g++ compiler, but it was a very bad decision.  In addition, they have
made it so that an automatic cast of a subroutine argument from const char *
to char * is no longer valid.  The result is a gigantic mess that will
require many millions of lines of code to be changed -- in many cases, such
as Bacula, the developer will be *forced* to include additional casting,
which will decrease the readability of the code.

It is very frustrating.

To avoid future problems -- at least until the Python library changes, I have
included the ugly casting in the 2.4.1-b2 Beta release now in preparation, so
this problem should go away in the near future.  However, because of the bad
decisions taken, it is likely to come back one day.