Re: [Bacula-devel] small mysql patch

Le Sunday 31 August 2008 21:32:16 Yuri Timofeev, vous avez écrit :
> Hi
>
> 2008/8/31 Eric Bollengier <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Adding indexes will probably speed up dbcheck, but it will slow down the
> > attribute insertion process and grow up the database.
>
> I wrote earlier (see reference to the discussion), that dbcheck can't
> complete the job for 3 days!
> Once the necessary indexes were created, all work was completed
> dbcheck for 3-5 minutes!
> Therefore, I say NOT to increase the speed of dbcheck (though this
> too), I say about NOT normal work dbcheck.

it's why i suggest you to add them to dbcheck.c, if we add this to the default
creation script, we can be sure that users will let them in place forever.
And after, they will complain about performance problem.

> > So, we can say that speed of attribute insertion is much more important
> > than dbcheck performance.
>
> MySQL performs INSERT operations with a very high speed, thus slowing
> the work should not be noticeable, IMHO.

Performance are much higher with few indexes, i'm not sure that mysql will
insert million of rows at the same speed if you add 5 indexes.

> > The dbcheck operation have to be run once per month, maybe twice per
> > year.
>
> I do understand (see comments in src/cats/make_mysql_tables.in:46,
> revision 7535) that there are problems with Verifies Jobs.

You can use them if your verify jobs are too slow. Many users don't use this
feature. In bacula, you are free to modify indexes as you want.

> > If you want to use new indexes with dbcheck, you can modify dbcheck.c in
> > this way :
> >  - ask to the user if he wants to add them (think about disk space)
> >  - add them + run analyse
> >  - run the cleanup operation
> >  - remove them
> >
> > I'm not sure that all your indexes are useful, for example (FileId,
> > JobId) is probably used to see if you have orphan jobids in File table.
> > The Job table is very small compare to others, so the database engine
> > won't use it.
> >
> > Here, it's not the type of your index that will be important, it's much
> > more the size of the File table (hundred of million in my case) that will
> > change the cost of your index.
>
> I think the problem (dbcheck) and its solution can be described, for
> example, in the section "Troubleshooting" in the documentation.
> And then not need to change the source code.

This solution will not decrease support request about this subject, too few
users are reading this document. Modify dbcheck is a better idea, if you
can't work on it, perhaps we can add this to the project list.

> >> I believe that the results of this discussion concerns
> >>
> >> "[Bacula-users] Bacula 2.2.8, dbcheck never completes"
> >> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=48A984BF.405020
> >>6%4 0umdnj.edu&forum_name=bacula-users
> >>
> >> requires a small patch, see attached file.
> >>
> >> Since all fields (which fall in the indices) type INTEGER  the size of
> >> the indices will be low and increase speed dbcheck will be very
> >> substantial.
> >>
> >> As you think?

Bye