Re: [Bacula-devel] small mysql patch

Hello Yuri,

Adding indexes will probably speed up dbcheck, but it will slow down the
attribute insertion process and grow up the database.

The dbcheck operation have to be run once per month, maybe twice per year.
So, we can say that speed of attribute insertion is much more important than
dbcheck performance.

If you want to use new indexes with dbcheck, you can modify dbcheck.c in this
way :
 - ask to the user if he wants to add them (think about disk space)
 - add them + run analyse
 - run the cleanup operation
 - remove them

I'm not sure that all your indexes are useful, for example (FileId, JobId) is
probably used to see if you have orphan jobids in File table. The Job table
is very small compare to others, so the database engine won't use it.

Here, it's not the type of your index that will be important, it's much more
the size of the File table (hundred of million in my case) that will change
the cost of your index.

FYI, postgresql can use composite indexes, so it will require less indexes
than mysql.

Bye