Re: [Bacula-devel] Selective restore when files are pruned [patch]

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 20:07:05 Martin Simmons wrote:

> > > I would probably use bextract for this, which already contains a
> > > partial FD supporting wildcards.
> >
> > The difference with bextract and the need for the patch in question is
> > that bextract works by directly reading the Volume and directly writing
> > the data to the filesystem on which it is running.  There is no comm line
> > in between.
>
> Yes, that's true.
>
> > > I think the "partial" status of this FD (and bscan
> > > and bls) is the main reason why I didn't like the idea of making yet
> > > another partial FD in the SD.
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean by "partial status of this FD (and bscan
> > and bls)"
>
> I was referring to the kinds of stream that they know about, so for example
> you can't bextract Macintosh attributes, ACLs, encrypted data etc.  Bscan
> and bls have similar (though fewer) restrictions.

Yes, bextract and the FD started with different code bases (perhaps similar or
the same initially).  One day, perhaps we'll make a true library out of the
restore routines in the FD, then bextact can use it and have the same
functionality ...