Re: [Bacula-devel] Trying out the VirtualFull feature.

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 12:40:29 Graham Keeling wrote:
> Hello,
> I hope you had a good holiday. Mine was mostly lazy, which is good
> sometimes.

Thanks.  Yes, it was good.  The only problem is that the Swiss German
hospitality only extends to Swiss German speakers, and since I only speak
French and English (a good bit of Spanish and some German) the hospitality
was a bit unpleasant --  e.g. trying to translate the menus, being in a SPA
where *all* the information is in German ...

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 05:34:51PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > OK, thanks, I've got the regressions running on a different machine
> > > with a newer kernel now, and the segfaults have gone away.
> > >
> > > I ran virtual-backup-test, and it told me that it completed OK.
> > > However, I was suspicious, so I watched carefully what it was doing.
> > >
> > > It looks to me as if it is doing exactly what I was seeing with my
> > > original setup, where the VirtualFull only includes the previous Full
> > > and misses out the differentials and incrementals.
> > >
> > > To prove this, I made a couple of changes to virtual-backup-test (the
> > > patch is attached to this email). I also made sure that 'Accurate =
> > > yes' was set on the backup job definitions in the bacula-dir.conf, but
> > > I don't think that matters.
> > >
> > > Before the first full backup, I echoed the date to a file in the area
> > > that that gets backed up. Then I echoed the (new) date to the same file
> > > just before the last incremental backup.
> > > I would then expect the restore before and after the subsequent
> > > VirtualFull to give the same results, but they don't.
> > > The test reports the following:
> > >
> > >   !!!!! virtual-backup-test failed!!! 11:27:21 !!!!!
> > >   !!!!! Restored files differ          !!!!!
> > >
> > > Graham.
> >
> > Yes, something is clearly going wrong with your backups.  All mine seem
> > to be working fine.  The fact that yours are failing worries me, because
> > it means we either have a bug (very likely with new code) or we have some
> > simple way that the configuration can be incorrect.  Whatever the case,
> > we will need to fix it.  Hopefully next week on return from vacation, I
> > will have a bit more time for fixing this and completing my
> > documentation.
>
> I wonder - if you try the virtual-backup-test (with my patch from my last
> email) on your setup, does the test pass or succeed?

No, I didn't try it because the patch guarantees that the test will fail.  If
you backup a file in the build directory then delete it before the restore,
you are *guaranteed* that the test will fail.  The build directory is sort of
the base, and the results of the restore are compared to it, so when you
delete something from the build directory, you can be sure the test won't
work.

It could potentially work if Accurate is turned on, but the
virtual-backup-test script does not have Accurate turned on, but the current
test is only meant to test Virtual Backup ...