Re: [Bacula-devel] [Bacula-users] Feature request: Amazon S3 integration

Hi,

25.08.2008 21:19, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Monday 25 August 2008 20:02:59 Soren Hansen wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 06:12:08PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>> If you have time available, I personally would prefer to see a new
>>> Bacula driver written using the S3 API, which as far as I can tell
>>> would be system independent.
>> It would, yes.

>> It *is* more like a filesystem, but still not actually *like* a
>> filesystem. E.g. you don't have the concept of directories, but you have
>> a much more extensible concept of metadata. You can't open files
>> read-write, and AFAIK you can only upload and download entire files, so
>> while a filesystem driver for S3 could emulate seeking, it'd be costly.
>
> If they indeed do it that way, then either Bacula would need to transfer full
> volumes, or divide Bacula Volumes into a number of smaller files on S3, and
> upload or download files as if they were Bacula blocks all of which would be
> more work than just writing a Bacula driver that uses http to read/write
> files.

Sounds a bit like DVD handler for Bacula... and that reminds me of a
suggestion I once made for using ftp space as Bacula storage: Modify
the dvd-handler script to work with a different backend than
growisofs. Namely,
split volumes into parts managed separately and of a size reliably
handled through the backend (be it DVD file system extension or ftp
transfers),
when Bacula needs to read a volume part, download it to some temporary
space (new feature),
when Bacula needs to write a part, create it in a local temporary
place and upload when done,
use some extra functions to determine available space.

Still I prefer putting more of that into the SD core code instead of
keeping it in an external script.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann