Re: [Bacula-devel] Feature request: Amazon S3 integration

On Monday 25 August 2008 17:54:12 Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:13:25AM -0400, David Boyes wrote:
> >> To maintain system independence, would not a better way be:
> >>
> >>   create a SCSI interface to Amazon S3
> >>
> >> This would allow Amazon S3 to be used with more than Bacula without
> >> any changes to Bacula.
> >
> > We're working on something just like that. Should be available around
> > Xmas.
>
> Who? Where? How can I help out?

If you have time available, I personally would prefer to see a new Bacula
driver written using the S3 API, which as far as I can tell would be system
independent.

A SCSI driver is something that you have to install in your OS, and as such is
highly OS dependent, so would be available only on systems that have such
a "module" for them.  In addition, Bacula's SCSI interface will not co-exist
well with S3 since when Bacula is writing to a tape (using the
open/read/write/ioctl/close SCSI interface), it expects the device to behave
like a tape.  S3 is more like a filesystem.  If one did succeed in such an
endeavor, the advantage would be that there should be no changes to Bacula.

If I am not mistaken, S3 does already have an interface that works through
normal file open/read/write/lseek/close which would be compatible with
Bacula's disk (or File) driver.  It *should* work, but it might be much less
satisfactory (less well integrated with S3) than a real S3 driver.