Re: [Bacula-devel] Feature request: Amazon S3 integration

Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:52:13AM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
>> Bacula already requires OS support.  It relies heavily upon SCSI
>> interfaces.  These interfaces are not designed specifically for
>> Bacula.  They are available to all comers.
>
> I'm aware.
>
> You suggested a SCSI interface to S3. This sounds wrong on so my
> levels.. A filesystem driver for S3 would be usable, but neither will
> give you any independence. Quite the contrary. You'll become completely
> dependent on systems that provide this interface. This might not be a
> problem, but you started out saying that this was a good way of
> achieving independence.

Umm, my understanding is all systems that Bacula runs upon provide a
SCSI interface.

Look, please stop trying to poke holes in my specific suggestion and pay
more attention to my general suggestion: namely, pick a solution that is
Bacula independent.

>> Someone else mentioned: fuse plugin.  this looks promising:
>> http://code.google.com/p/s3fs-fuse/ it's obviously linux specific, but
>> should be pretty trivial to set up with bacula
>
> Quite so. That doesn't help people on systems that don't support FUSE,
> though. I'm not one of them, but I think this would be useful in Bacula
> itself.
>
>> Kern also has an idea.  See his recent post.
>
> His idea is a repeat of one of my suggestions, namely teaching Bacula to
> interact directly with S3.

Great.  :)

But my understanding is it involves write a driver which confirms to the
API.  Much like writing a SCSI interface to S3.

--
Dan Langille