Re: [Bacula-devel] Feature request: Amazon S3 integration

On Monday 25 August 2008 15:56:34 Dan Langille wrote:
> Soren Hansen wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'd like to request Amazon S3 integration in Bacula. I can imagine two
> > approaches. Note that I'm not very familiar with the Bacula code base at
> > all, so either approach (or both) might prove to be unsuitable.
> >
> > One way to achieve this is would be to add a new backend to the storage
> > daemon: Add options to specify your access identifies and the name of an
> > S3 bucket which is expected to be used exclusively for this purpose.
> >
> > Another, more general approach would be to add a sort of "shell" backend
> > to the storage daemon: Simply add an "exec" or "cmd" option, which
> > denoted an external command that would provide an interface between
> > bacula and some kind of storage backend. It would accept subcommands
> > corresponding to the storage backend API (if such a thing exists).
> >
> > As outlined on Bacula's homepage, here's the feature request in the
> > formal format.
> >
> > Item 1:   Implement an interface between Bacula and Amazon's S3.
> >   Date:   25 August 2008
> >   Origin: Soren Hansen <soren@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >   What:   Enable the storage daemon to store backup data on Amazon's
> >           S3 service.
> >
> >   Why:    Amazon's S3 is a cheap way to store data off-site. Current
> >           ways to integrate Bacula and S3 involve storing all the data
> >           locally and syncing them to S3, and manually fetching them
> >           again when they're needed. This is very cumbersome.
>
> To maintain system independence, would not a better way be:
>
>   create a SCSI interface to Amazon S3
>
> This would allow Amazon S3 to be used with more than Bacula without any
> changes to Bacula.

Amazon S3 has an API interface, so IMO the best way of dealing with it is to
write a new "device" driver for the SD (it is relatively easy and well
defined in the trunk).  Then Bacula would use S3 much like it uses a direct
disk device.  However, this requires someone with a lot of coding experience
and a good deal of time.

Regards,