Re: [Bacula-devel] patch for presence of file daemon

May I suggest a slightly different approach?

What if you added a console command that would provide the time and date
of the next scheduled run for a specific client? And what if we either
modified the FD to (or wrote a small application that would) connect as
a console, retrieve the next scheduled date/time, disconnect, and then
wait until that time arrived and run a command -- such as a bconsole
script that connected as a console, did a SETIP command for the node in
question, and ran the scheduled backup?

I think that would satisfy both parties, would not require any new
ports, and would also resolve the client-initiated backup problem as
well.