Re: [Bacula-devel] patch for presence of file daemon

Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Possible New code:
> What is really missing in the FD is item 2 in the current projects list "Allow
> FD to initiate a backup".  What I had planned here is the following: modify
> the FD so that it can be contacted by a local console and the FD (not Dir)
> can be asked to do a Backup, or simply to send its IP address.   The FD would
> then simulate a console (possibly identifying itself as the FD) and do a
> SETIP command, and possibly ask for a backup.  Note, both of these are
> already controlled by restricted consoles, so the security is pretty much
> assured.
>
> What is different about this is that if the FD requests a backup, the
> Director's console handler would start the job but pass the open console
> connection it has with the FD to the backup command, and the backup would
> proceed over that connection.  That permits implementing project item 2 and
> it also allows a work around for certain firewall problems where the Director
> cannot contact a particular client (maybe the client is behind a firewall or
> NATed in another network) so the Director can use the connection made by the
> FD.

That would be a very useful capability for those of us dealing with
laptops that are intermittently connected. Still, it might be useful to
allow the Director to limit the times/days that a client can request a
backup. Perhaps it would be possible to use something like a Schedule
resource for that and a "AllowClientBackupRequest = <Schedule resource>"
in the Job (or JobDefs) resource? Probably the default should be to
never allow client initiated backup, since currently it is assumed that
backups always occur on a predefined schedule.