[Bacula-devel] Couple questions about using a "disk-changer"

I'm working on an idea for using Amazon S3 in conjunction with the
disk-changer functionality.  I have several of the ideas worked out in
my head, but there are a couple things that still aren't clear after
reading the docs.  If there is documentation or a library I missed
somewhere, please feel free to point them out.

1. The docs (and disk-changer script) don't seem to answer the question
of what happens if "slot" has not previously been written to?  Does the
disk-changer put an empty (zero byte) file there?  Or is there some
initialization I'm missing?

2. Is there a database independent way of getting information about
volumes?  Here's why I'm wondering: if bacula requests slotN, and slotN
is purged, there is no reason for downloading it from Amazon, and
instead I would just create an empty file, and upload it when it
gets "removed" from the virtual drive.*  I know I could pipe my command
through bconsole, but I'd rather have a library, even if I'm binding
via ctypes or such.

*Yes, I'm aware of concurrency issues, delays, etc.  The architecture
isn't all there yet, still in the idea formation stage.

Thanks for any input!  I'll be posting more about this when the idea is
more congealed.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com