Re: [Bacula-devel] Trying out the VirtualFull feature.

On Friday 15 August 2008 11:00:34 Graham Keeling wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:49:50AM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Unfortunately it is not possible to read and write to the same device,
> > because on a tape it is just impossible, and on a disk, it requires two
> > I/O packets.
> >
> > The above said, it is possible to read and write to the same disk
> > directory providing the volumes are different.
>
> Ah, that explains why it works for me, because I'm using 1 job per volume -
> Maximum Volume Jobs = 1.

This is just to let you know that I am still working on this, but in enhancing
my Virtual Backup regression script to get material for the doc, I stumbled
into a problem with NULL volume names:

localhost-sd: askdir.c:339 NULL Volume name. This shouldn't happen!!!

which several users have reported, but I could never reproduce.  Now I have
100% reproduction of the problem (perhaps not exactly the same scenario) so I
am working on fixing that -- and hopefully knocking off a couple of
unexplained bugs ...

For those who want a real test case of Virtual Backup that works or if you are
doing heavy production use of Bacula, I recommend implementing the Bacula
regression testing.  It is described in the Developers guide, and even better
in the README in the regress directory.  You can get a copy of this directory
by:

 svn checkout https://bacula.svn.sf.net/svnroot/bacula/trunk/regress xxx

where xxx is the directory that you want to put it into.  Then read README,
README.ctest, and possibly README.vtape

The test that shows Virtual Backup working and for the moment also fails on a
second Virtual Backup, is virtual-backup-test.  Once you have regress install
and your "config" file properly edited, you can run the test by doing:

make setup
export REGRESS_DEBUG=1
tests/virtual-backup-test

You might want to redirect the output of the last line above to a file since
there is a good deal of output and for the last test that fails, I have debug
logging turned on ...  You can find the config (bacula-dir.conf and
bacula-sd.conf) files in the <regress>/bin directory.

PS: anyone who uses Bacula in a serious production environment or a commercial
environment should run all the regression test cases (both disk and tape) on
your hardware prior to putting any version in production.

Please note, the regression tests are different for the development version
(described above) and the official 2.4.x release.  For the current official
2.4.2 release, you need to pull from:

  svn checkout \
https://bacula.svn.sf.net/svnroot/bacula/branches/Branch-2.4/regress xxx

and neither the vtape code (README.vtape) nor Virtual Backup exist in that
version.