Re: [Bacula-devel] Selective restore when files are pruned [patch]

> On Friday 15 August 2008 14:00:12 Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> > I needed to restore a subset of some old backups.  Restoring the full
> > backups would need a terabyte of temporary storage, which seemed a bit
> > wasteful (and inconvenient to get hold of) since the data I was
> > interested in took less than a gigabyte.
> >
> > Anyway -- I implemented a simple regex to filter the files to restore.
> > It works like this:
> >
> >     Building directory tree for JobId(s) 28644 ...
> >     There were no files inserted into the tree, so file selection
> >     is not possible.Most likely your retention policy pruned the files
> >
> >     Do you want to restore all the files? (yes|no): no
> >
> >     Regexp matching files to restore? (empty to abort): ^/var/log
> >
> > The patch adds a new keyword to the bootstrap file, FilePattern, which
> > the storage daemon will apply to all files before deciding whether to
> > send the file over to the fd.  The fd doesn't need any changes, btw.
> >
> > This is just a quick hack, and there is some polishing left to do:
>
> The code looks pretty clean and in the spirit of the current code ... :-)

IMHO, the read_records function is the very worst place to decode the records
looking for regexps, because it breaks the abstraction boundaries.  Wouldn't
it be much cleaner if only the Director and FD needed to know about the
contents of the records?

How about adding a markregex operation to the existing tree building phase in
the Director (c.f. markdir)?  I know this was an old backup, so probably
pruned from the catalog, but that is a different problem from the one of
selecting files by regex.

__Martin