Re: [Bacula-devel] Selective restore when files are pruned [patch]

Hello,

This is a very good idea -- thanks for the patch and for sending in the GPL
paperwork already :-)

On Friday 15 August 2008 14:00:12 Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> I needed to restore a subset of some old backups.  Restoring the full
> backups would need a terabyte of temporary storage, which seemed a bit
> wasteful (and inconvenient to get hold of) since the data I was
> interested in took less than a gigabyte.
>
> Anyway -- I implemented a simple regex to filter the files to restore.
> It works like this:
>
>     Building directory tree for JobId(s) 28644 ...
>     There were no files inserted into the tree, so file selection
>     is not possible.Most likely your retention policy pruned the files
>
>     Do you want to restore all the files? (yes|no): no
>
>     Regexp matching files to restore? (empty to abort): ^/var/log
>
> The patch adds a new keyword to the bootstrap file, FilePattern, which
> the storage daemon will apply to all files before deciding whether to
> send the file over to the fd.  The fd doesn't need any changes, btw.
>
> This is just a quick hack, and there is some polishing left to do:

The code looks pretty clean and in the spirit of the current code ... :-)

>    * Only available interactively in the specific case above, but
>      could be useful as an alternative/supplement to marking files and
>      directories manually.

Yes, perhaps it is worth adding a new "main" restore menu item for this, as
well as a command line keyword.

>    * Can not be modified like the other job parameters.

Well, virtually nothing in restore can be set by job parameters, so this is
not a problem.

>    * Bacula will complain that the number of restored files is
>      different from what it expected in the final report.

Yes, perhaps when filepattern is specified we can disable the check ...

>    * Documentation is not updated.

That is always a problem.

----

The only thing I might be inclined to change is "FilePattern" to "FileRegex"
which is a bit techie, but if we ever want to add wildcards there would be no
confusion in adding a FileWildCard bsr command ...

> The patch is against revision 7469, which we are now running in
> production (don't tell my boss ;-).  I hope others will find it
> useful.

I have a feeling that a lot of people will find this useful.

> PS. Kern, the GPL paperwork is on its way to Switzerland.

Many thanks.

I'll study the code a bit and let you know when it is in the SVN.