Re: [Bacula-devel] Trying out the VirtualFull feature.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 06:34:59PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Start with something far simpler.  It looks like you are writing to multiple
> pools, and maybe that is creating problems.

OK, I've made my configuration simpler. It is now as follows, but I'm still
getting the same problem with the vbackup not including the incremental.

Storage {
  Name = "C"		# 'C' for Consolid pool
  Address = "192.168.100.121"
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "password"
  Device = 0.1
  Media Type = File
}

Storage {
  Name = "N"		# 'N' for Normal pool
  Address = "192.168.100.121"
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "password"
  Device = 0.0
  Media Type = File
}

Pool {
  Name = "Consolid"
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes           # automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes         # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 1 week
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
  Label Format = backup-
  Maximum Volumes = 0     # unlimited
  RecyclePool = Scratch
  Storage = "C"
}

Pool {
  Name = "Normal"
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes           # automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes         # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 1 week
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
  Label Format = backup-
  Maximum Volumes = 0     # unlimited
  RecyclePool = Scratch
  Next Pool = "Consolid"
  Storage = "N"
}

Job {
  Name = "ABC"
  Type = Backup
  Schedule = "ABC"
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = "Normal"
  Client = "ABC-fd"
  FileSet = "ABC"
  Storage = "N"
  Accurate = yes
}

> Turn on debug mode -d150 in the director that may give you a better idea of
> what is going on -- e.g. it will probably print the .bsr file.
>
> Take a look at the bsr file it has produced.  If it doesn't have the
> incremental then something is wrong.
>
> You might try creating a bsr file with the "restore" command before you do the
> Vbackup, and compare it to the one generated by the Vbackup.  They should be
> identical.  If not, it will probably give us some idea what is going wrong.
>
> Also when running the vbackup, if you set debug level to at least 100 it will
> tell you what jobids it is going to combine.
>
> Uncomment a few lines in src/dird/vbackup.c at lines 495 and 496 to see what
> the bsr file looks like.

OK, I've now got a restore bsr file, and then got the output of print_bsr()
from uncommenting those lines when running the vbackup afterwards.
The restore one has both volumes listed, and the vbackup one only has onelisted.
This time, the Full is in backup-0001 and the Incremental is in backup-0002.
Here is what is in the restore bsr file, which looks correct to me:

Volume="backup-0001"
MediaType="File"
VolSessionId=1
VolSessionTime=1218720413
VolFile=0
VolBlock=217-431832
FileIndex=1-513
FileIndex=515-524
Count=523
Volume="backup-0002"
MediaType="File"
VolSessionId=2
VolSessionTime=1218720413
VolFile=0
VolBlock=217-2304
FileIndex=1
Count=1

Here is print_bsr() from running a vbackup (tidied up to remove syslog cruft).
This misses out 'backup-0002'.

Volume="backup-0001"
MediaType"File"
VolSessionId=1
VolSessionTime=1218720413
VolFile=0-0
VolBlock=217-431832
fi=0x82360b0
FileIndex=1-524

> Also the following line from below:
>  Aug 13 14:26:37  bacula-dir: bacula.example.com-dir JobId 15: Storage ""
> > not found, using Storage "0" from MediaType "File". Aug 13 14:26:37
>
> indicates that something has gone wrong.  Why is the storage name empty?

I'm still getting this (though it is saying Storage "C" since I simplified my
config). I don't know why it does it, as my configuration
(above) seems to have the Storage set everywhere. Where is it reading it from
at this stage?

Something else that is interesting is that the director status via bconsole
shows this:

Terminated Jobs:
 JobId  Level    Files      Bytes   Status   Finished        Name
     1  Full          0         0   Error    14-Aug-08 14:26 ABC
     2  Full        524    346.2 K  OK       14-Aug-08 14:27 ABC
     3  Incr          1    1.589 K  OK       14-Aug-08 14:27 ABC
     4  Full        524    421.7 K  OK       14-Aug-08 14:28 ABC

The first job went wrong because of my misconfiguration of the storage daemon
that I then fixed, so don't worry about that.

JobId 4 is the vbackup, and shows a much higher byte count than JobId 2, even
though it has only copied the backup from JobId 2. Here is an 'ls -l' of
the volumes on my disk:

-rw-r----- 1 admin-bacula-sd admin-bacula-sd 431833 Aug 14 14:27 backup-0001
-rw-r----- 1 admin-bacula-sd admin-bacula-sd   2305 Aug 14 14:27 backup-0002
-rw-r----- 1 admin-bacula-sd admin-bacula-sd 431833 Aug 14 14:28 backup-0003

I also notice that a 'list pools' in bconsole shows that all the volumes
have ended up in the "Normal" pool, when I was expecting the vbackup to end
up in "Consolid".

*list pools
Automatically selected Catalog: MyCatalog
Using Catalog "MyCatalog"
| PoolId | Name                       | NumVols | MaxVols | PoolType | LabelFormat |