Re: [Bacula-devel] Source Forge problems

On Saturday 09 August 2008 12:14:11 Frank Sweetser wrote:
> Frank Sweetser wrote:
> > Kern Sibbald wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am unable to login to Source Forge or access the Bacula project
> >> directly without logging in.  Is anyone else having this problem?
> >
> > Attempting to access http://sourceforge.net/projects/bacula gives me an
> > "Invalid Project" error.
>
> Actually, *every* SF project page gives me invalid project.

OK, thanks.  At least I know it is not me.  SF had asked me to login a bit
differently to test their new GUI (in response to a bug report I filed some
time ago), and I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't having problems with
this new mething -- in fact, hmmm maybe I brought them down :-(

> Going to the Marketplace tab just gives "An unknown system error has
> occurred."
>
> It looks like Sourceforge is effectively offline at the moment.

Yes.

> On a related tangent, I just so happen to be able to have some spare time
> this weekend that I'd be happy to put towards helping migrate data into the
> Launchpad project site, if you decide you'd like to make the change =)

I really appreciate the offer of help, because I badly need it.  Here is where
I am on this project ...

I am having second thoughts about using Launchpad for several reasons (but no
second thoughts about trying Bazaar and finding some way to use email with
our bugs database -- or a new database).

My current concerns about Launchpad are the following:
1. They have not at all been responsive (after their initial very rapid
response) -- they have not responded to a request for help importing, and
they are unsuccessful in importing the Bacula SVN (see Bacula at Launchpad
for details).

2. It appears that I loose virtually all control over the project in Launchpad
in the following respects:
  - Anyone can import code into the Bacula area.  E.g. one (probably well
meaning user) has tried to import the whole Bacula SVN into the Bacula area
under the name "trunc" while I have already asked to import it as as "trunk".
That is going to create enormous confusion and possibly frustration if
someone chooses the wrong trunk.  In addition, I have *no* way of contacting
this user as his email address is private.
  - I am ready to allow anyone to make all kinds of branches of Bacula, but
the above situation is not very conducive to running a professional project
(naming problems, anyone can do almost anything, and I cannot even discuss it
with them).

3. I asked them to import our bugs database, but no feedback.

So, I am now importing the Bacula SVN here at my site into Bazaar (will
complete in a few hours) -- here is probably not appropriate for rehosting
the SVN/Bazaar repository because I only have about 500KB/sec upload speed,
but it is good for testing so I can make some decision.  I am working on
having a hosting arrangement in the next month or so where I can install a
machine that will have at least 1Gb ethernet access and that goes into Fiber
the problem is that kind of thing is pretty expensive ...

If anyone has any ideas either how to make Mantis accept email input or knows
about another simple bugs database that does, I am open there.  I do like
Mantis a lot for the following reasons:

1. It seems *much* simpler than things like bugzilla, which is good for users
2. It has given us no problems at all.

What I don't like about it:
1. It doesn't distinguish between need user Feedback and the bug fixers are
working on the problem.  It simply reports "Feedback".  Other bug systems
have something like "Feedback" and "InProgress" -- it might be possible to
customize this.

2. It has no email interface (or at least we are not using it if it exists).
This means that it is hard to make simple one or two line responses -- I must
always log in through the web interface to do anything.

3. I don't know anyway that we can hook Mantis to Bazaar, which supports
interfacing with bugs databases.

I haven't had the time to look at what Launchpad is using as a bugs database.

Another thing I like about Launchpad is the Answers stuff.  It is basically a
nice email list with a Web browser built in so that you can use either email
or a browser.  This would *really* help new users who are looking for what
has been previously discussed because in general web browser interfaces
permit better searching.

Another possibility is possibly hosting the Launchpad code ourselves, but that
seems like *way* too much work at this time ...

Things that would help me for Bazaar are:
1. Recommendation on Bazaar "Team collaboration" style:
  - Centralized development
  - Decentralized with shared mainline
  - Decentralized with human gatekeeper
  - Decentralized with automatic gatekeeper

I suspect that Decentralized with automatic gatekeeper (and commit restricted
to specific developers) would work pretty well.

Then there is a question of how to setup a secure server (FastCGI, mod_python,
smart_server, ...)

It is going to take some time to digest all this ...