Re: [Bacula-devel] Contrib builder (fschwarz) - adjust dependencies

Install CentOS without X.
Install an X server (Xming in my case, it's free, but there are some
others, Exceed is the best known one probably) on a Windows machine (my
favorite laptop).
Connect from Windows to CentOS by PuTTY via SSH with X11 forward; set
"DISPLAY=ip_of_the_machine_running_Xming:0; export DISPLAY".
Start the X server on the Windows machine.
(There might be some mess with security of the X server but as I run
everything on my home LAN I just don't bother with it).
All this "X server on Windows" stuff and how to make it work is pretty
well explained on the xming page
(http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/).
Start any X program on the Linux machine in the PuTTY SSH session and it
shall display on the Windows machine (I installed xterm just for test
purposes and it worked fine).
So far so good.
Now the problem with BAT is that it crashes on startup in the
environment where xterm works fine. There are no font dependencies
listed in it (ldd). I had to google pretty much to find that installing
the fonts solves the problem, and indeed it does. *Maybe* some other
font package would be sufficient, I never tried.
There was another suggestion how to make this work: "install X server on
the Linux machine", but this is a little bit overkill. I hope you agree
that CentOS (ok, RHEL) in its "minimum" configuration (i.e. *without* X)
is a pretty popular one for Linux servers today; actually I see no good
reason to install X on the server if you can avoid it and you won't sit
in front of it physically, and the less you have installed on a *server*
the better it works and the more secure it is.

Alex