Re: [Bacula-devel] [Bacula-users] Bacula on Windows Vista / Winodws Server 2008

> I am sorry to hear about you having to have jaw surgery --- hope it worked
> out.

Although recovery was a long time (8 or so months of problems and
pain) it worked out much better than I thought. All the pain and
numbness is gone and my bottom and top jaw are in the correct position
(instead of being 12 mm or so off).. I would have done this many years
ago if I knew this would be the result.

>> and I got tired of
>> making excuses. The biggest hold up was that the win32 api does not
>> have the concept of a dynamic layout forcing me to have to find a good
>> way to do this without porting a lot of code. I do this easy with MFC
>> but I have 1000 lines of code in 2 layout managers for that... The
>> reason for this was so I could mimic the display of the unix tray
>> monitor.
> Well, there is nothing for you to be sorry about.  I actually had totally
> forgotten that you were working on this.  I originally thought this problem
> would create a lot of requests, but until now, no one that I can remember has
> asked for it so I have to wonder how important the project really was.
>> Since then I have thought of a few options. I needed to learn qt for
>> my current work project and I know this dynamic part would be easy for
>> me in qt but I am not sure how to integrate that into the build
>> process. Also I have seen that gtk+ is ported to windows. I am not
>> sure that would help us use the same code. And the last method would
>> be only show the filedaemon status only so there was no dynamic dialog
>> needed.
> Hmm.  Now that you mention Qt, you might be interested in a slightly different
> problem (somewhat harder perhaps) that *is* a very important project and that
> is to get bat working on Win32.  As you probably know Bat uses Qt4 >= version
> 4.2 and Qt4 does run on Win32 machines.  In fact, thanks to Eric Bollengier,
> we have a first port of bat to Win32.  However, it is quite unstable at the
> moment -- it doesn't take much to crash it.  The current port is in fact,
> only a half a port.  We have ported the bat code itself, which is
> cross-compiled on Linux, but we haven't yet ported Qt to be cross-compiled,
> instead we use the Qt binaries that are pre-built by Trolltech.  We install
> them on Windows directly then Bat uses them.  Anyway, to get it up to
> production quality will require someone that likes to spend a lot of time
> running the debugger (gdb) on Windows and dig into subtle errors ...

Here is what I am working on with Qt:
On my windows machines I build qt 4.3 from source and use VS2005 to
compile my medical imaging (itk + vtk + qt + boost) projects under 32
bit windows XP. I am using CMake to generate the project files so that
with the same source (checked into cvs) I can also build and execute
my applications in 64 bit gentoo linux using kdevelop as the build
environment on the linux side. At this point I have not had any
serious problems running my applications on both platforms but they
are in no way as big as bat is at this time.

I am interested in this and it is a possibility that I can help with
that. I can not promise anything though. My time is always short.