Re: [Bacula-devel] Novell NSS / getxattr

Hello,

On Thursday 31 January 2008 08.44:06 Travis Schafer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a need to backup the Novell NSS file system, with NSS specific
> attributes. I would be more than happy to attempt the addition of NSS
> features to the File Daemon on my own, but I thought I would check on the
> -devel list to make sure that I am not duplicating any existing efforts,
> and that I am headed in the right direction.

As far as I know, there are no current efforts to implement NSS attributes.
However, there is a Feature Request to add support for extended attributes
which are referenced using getxaddr and setxaddr.  See the file "projects"

> The extended attributes on NSS files can be accessed with a call to
> getxattr(). It looks like I would simply have to add code to
> encode_attributes_Ex() that conditionally encodes the extended NSS
> attributes for NSS files... and obviously do the reverse for restore.
>
> Any objections? Suggestions? Glaring holes-in-logic?

Well, the first thing to do is to read the Developer's guide to see how we
work, then if you intend to make a submission, please fill out and send in
two copies of the Fiduciary License Agreement (see: www.bacula.org -> FSFE
License for details).  Make sure you work with code in the SVN trunk rather
than an older version of the source otherwise, it is harder to integrate ...

I am not aware of any encode_attributes_Ex() function in Bacula, though there
may be some similar call.  In any case, the word "attributes" is generally
used in a very different sense in Bacula, and the code you want will mostly
be in the file src/filed/acl.c/h  Normally, it should just be a matter of
setting up the proper #ifdefing (a bit ugly in that file) and then
implementing two new Bacula generic functions named bacl_set() and
bacl_get().  If you look at acl.c, you should get the idea.  It can even be
built in standalone test mode so that you can develop and test your code
outside of Bacula ...

> Sorry for barging in to the list, and thank you for Bacula.

Uh, no reason for you to be sorry. This list is made to be barged into for
development questions like yours.  Ask again if the above is not clear.

Thanks for your interest in Bacula,

Kern