Re: [Bacula-devel] Idea: "Flexibly scheduled" jobs

John Drescher wrote:
>     I think if I were implementing a feature like that, I'd do it via a
>     Retry directive which would have two arguments: retry interval, and
>     maximum number of retries before failing the job altogether.  The
>     directive would be usable within a Job or JobDefs record.
>
>     With such a feature, suppose I have a client 'foo' which may well have
>     been shut down before the time comes for it to be backed up, but which
>     has wake-on-LAN enabled.  I could modify its Job definition like this:
>
>     Job {
>       Name = "Foo Save"
>       JobDefs = Backup
>       Client = foo
>       FileSet = "Foo Full Set"
>       Schedule = Night
>       Retry = "2,10"       # allow up to 2 retries at 10-minute intervals
>     }
>

> It does currently retry (unless you have a run before job that fails)
> but I am unsure if you can set the number of times to check or the
> interval. I believe you can set the entire time to give up. I just use
> concurrency and allow other jobs to go on while it is trying to contact
> unavailable clients. Eventually these jobs will either run or terminate.

I use a checkhost RunBefore that pings and pokes the client to see if
it's (a) alive and (b) accepting connections on the client port.  It
returns a failure if either of these is false.

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx            alaric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx