Re: [Bacula-devel] Idea: "Flexibly scheduled" jobs

Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the current way of scheduling jobs is too inflexible and I'd
> like to extend it.
>
> My scenario is the following:
> I have a backup server which runs 24/7.
> I have a workstation which runs most of the day but goes into suspend to RAM
> when I go to sleep.
> The time during which the workstation is turned on varies. Sometimes it isn't
> turned on at all because I'm not there, sometimes at 06:00 AM, sometimes at
> 04:00 PM.
>
> I'd now like to schedule the backup for 09:00 AM and tell bacula "Just retry
> later if it doesn't succeed, that's not a serious problem".
>
> The right place to implement it is the schedule resource in my opinion. It
> could be called "possible-full" (a modification of the full level) and
> "floating-full" (as in: floating in the schedule) and bacula would just retry
> later to complete this job if it can't be done at the moment. The difference
> between possible and floating is that possible just completes the job if it is
> possible at the moment without raising an error if it isn't (that's where it
> differs from the behaviour at the moment) whereas floating would re-schedule
> the job for an hour (or so) later.
>
> What do you think of this idea? Any comments?

I think if I were implementing a feature like that, I'd do it via a
Retry directive which would have two arguments: retry interval, and
maximum number of retries before failing the job altogether.  The
directive would be usable within a Job or JobDefs record.

With such a feature, suppose I have a client 'foo' which may well have
been shut down before the time comes for it to be backed up, but which
has wake-on-LAN enabled.  I could modify its Job definition like this:

Job {
   Name = "Foo Save"
   JobDefs = Backup
   Client = foo
   FileSet = "Foo Full Set"
   Schedule = Night
   Retry = "2,10"	# allow up to 2 retries at 10-minute intervals
}

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx            alaric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx