Re: [Bacula-devel] option to disable compression depending on storage type (disk/tape)

Kern Sibbald schrieb:

> > > I would suggest you submit a Feature Request.  However, I have to say
> > > that I am not very happy with the schedule overrides.  They are something
> > > that is very hard to get working correctly and can lead to subtle
> > > misunderstandings (since some of them can be changed later, creating a
> > > lot of confusion).  So in short, if you can figure out some better more
> > > general way of implementing what you want, I would be much more open to
> > > implementing it.
> >
> > I'll submit a feature request. I think the best place would be in the
> > sd's device resource (GZIPcompression = yes|no).
>
> Well, that would be a very nice solution.  However, it will be a whole new
> feature (new code), and the disadvantage is that it puts the burden of the
> compression on the SD, which may become very overloaded when running many
> jobs.

Yes, I forgot that compression is done on the SD. And I didn't choose
the option name very good. I don't want move the compression to the SD
at all. It should just be a switch that enables/disables the
compression that is set in the FileSet resource for a device.

> Another idea might be to put your proposed new directive in the Director's
> Storage resource.  This would simplify the logic (i.e. not involve Schedule
> overrides) but would accomplish the same thing since the Director could then
> pass the compress or no compress option to the FD as it is currently doing.

This makes sense. It then has to be clear that compression in the
FileSet option still has to be enabled.

Ralf