Re: [Bacula-devel] option to disable compression depending on storage type (disk/tape)

On Thursday 10 January 2008 16:55, Ralf Gross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> up to now I made only tape based backups. Now I wanted to use disk
> volumes for incremental and differential backups, because of the very
> small deltas, but still tapes for the full backups.
>
> The compression option is part of the FileSet and can not be changed
> based on the storage type. For tape volumes I don't want an additional
> software compression. For disk volumes it would make sense to use it.
> Using different fileset for a jobs breaks the inc/diff/full cycle.
>
> How complex would it be to implement a flag in the sd resource which
> enabled/disables compression? Or an additional override feature for
> compression in the schedule resource?
>
> I didn't find anything  related on the project page. Would it make
> sense to implement this as an project or is it possible that this will
> eventually be realized without an extra project?

I would suggest you submit a Feature Request.  However, I have to say that I
am not very happy with the schedule overrides.  They are something that is
very hard to get working correctly and can lead to subtle misunderstandings
(since some of them can be changed later, creating a lot of confusion).  So
in short, if you can figure out some better more general way of implementing
what you want, I would be much more open to implementing it.