Re: [Bacula-devel] Remaining dual changer problems

On Saturday 24 May 2008 22:43:29 David Boyes wrote:
> Another way to look at this would be to start phasing out Bacula's
> knowledge of physical location entirely and deal only with volume names.
> Autochangers are getting smarter, and it really isn't Bacula's business how
> the changer organizes it's volumes as long as the right volume appears
> where it's needed.
>
> That approach would permit keeping the mtx-changer syntax the same, and
> implementing the volume->slot mapping inside the existing script shell.
> That would permit putting logic into mtx-changer to do simple mappings for
> simple-minded changers, or (in the case of more sophisticated changers,
> hand off to a library manager application).

Yes, this definitely would be an improvement.  However, currently, the
autochangers that most of the Bacula users have are no where near smart
enough to keep or do Volume -> slot mappings.  Maybe at some point in the
future.

For the moment, I will be content if we can make step by step improvements and
simplification of the code.