Re: [Bacula-devel] Synthetic Full backup or Consolidation

Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am considering putting a first cut of job consolidation into the next
> version of Bacula -- see item #3 on the y, Projects list "Merge multiple
> backups (Synthetic Backup or Consolidation)"
>
> I'm considering the possibility of implementing it as a sort of sub-option of
> Migration and Copy jobs.  The advantage is that virtually all the necessary
> code exists, and by using Migration and Copy, the Consolidate can either be
> a "move" or a "copy" operation.

There may be something I'm missing, but I'm a little unclear on exactly what
these jobs would be doing.  More specifically, would these consolidation
operations entail duplication of volume data (ie, consolidate jobs X, Y and Z
from volumes A, B and C into a new job Q on volume W), or would it just be
manipulation of catalog data?

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken