Re: [Bacula-devel] patch: bat trunk: improve joblog formatting

On Friday 16 May 2008 01:05:50 rghetta wrote:
> Yes, ordering by jobid would nicely show all current jobs first and also
> avoid using a multi-field ordering.
> Having a single field order could also allow making table headers
> clickable and sortable, like Marc proposed (with multi-field there's no
> way to return to the original ordering without using dirty tricks).
> I like it.

Yes, I agree. It is always better to try to keep it simpler where we can.

> One caveat: AFAIK ordering by jobid orders by queuing time, while the
> current ordering (by starttime,jobid) gives you jobs by effective start.
> I don't care much, but perhaps others have different needs.
>
> What do you think ?

That sounds fine to me, but seeing it actually working is what is the
determining factor -- for me, it is often only then that I can actually "see"
all the ramifications.

> Still, I wonder why you want to keep around old jobs who newer ran,
> instead of just deleting them. That would keep your display nice and
> clean :-)

Well, that is a good question. I ususally never delete anything for historical
reasons - the files generally do get deleted when their retention period is
up.  However, in this case, since it is a dummy database and since I would
like to demo it looking relatively clean, I went ahead and deleted the
offending records, which brought up another oddity ...

When I tried to delete a line in the JobList, it would respond that JobId 0
was deleted.  This happened over and over.  Finally I double clicked on the
row, and then it deleted the correct JobId.  I would appreciate if if you or
Dirk would look at this and see if it is working properly for you.  One
should be able to simply select (single click) on one or more rows and the
select the "Delete one job ..." or whatever the menu items and all selected
jobs should be deleted -- if we implement multiple deletion as we should, I
think we need to change the menu item a bit ...

For the original sorting question: since you are programming it and most
solutions seem reasonable, I will let you choose the one you prefer hopefully
permitting us to later add sorting by clicking on column headings.

Thanks for working on this.

PS: My bat demo is tomorrow, and I will be showing the very latest one in the