Re: [Bacula-devel] Auto upgrade clients.

Kern Sibbald schrieb:

> I would like to solicit comments about an auto upgrade feature for clients.
> The email message I have included below was sent to me nearly four years ago!
> I have hesitated implementing a feature such as this because of security
> concerns, but I think now is the time to start discussing it.
>
> The ideas in this email are very good.  However, I would like to implement
> something possibly a bit more comprehensive.  The main considerations for me
> are:
>
> 1. The sysadmin should be able to either upgrade all clients, or only clients
> he selects.

i don't like these auto upgrade features built in the application
itself. some companies have sysadmins responsible for the system
including installation of software packages and backup admins
responsible for administration of the backup system. it's not a good
idea to mix the responsibilities IMHO.

i think upgrading software like bacula clients should be left to
software designed for that. almost every company has such a software
distribution system, especially if we talk about a large number of
installations.

regards,
-ap