Re: [Bacula-devel] Patch: formatting for media and storage trees on bat

Hello Riccardo,

On Thursday 08 May 2008 07:31:38 rghetta wrote:
> Hello all,
> IMHO since Dirk reports problems with his configuration, it's better to
> hold the patches until the matter is resolved.

Yes, for the Branch-2.2 we don't want to take any chances of breaking it.

> Along with the new code, my patches also contained a backport of some
> small fixes (for column resizing on storage/fileset, and distinct on
> joblist) already done on trunk, but missing on 2.2
> I think those should definitely go in. If you want, I can concoct a
> specific patch.

Yes, please make a patch for the conservative items that you know work and
should be backported to Branch-2.2, and send it to me and the devel list.
I'll take a careful look at it.  This is the kind of item that I would like
to backport.

> Also, the media tree slot field is currently useless if you have a
> changer, because you can't tell which tape is available.
> I guess the lowest risk path will be adding an inchanger field to the
> tree. The change will be minimal.

I don't mind minor improvements to Branch-2.2 providing they have little
chance of breaking it -- bat is now becoming quite important.  If you can do
it very conservatively, please add it to the above patch.  If you have doubts
(I hope not), you could submit a separate patch (I prefer one patch).

By the way, I noticed that in the Media report (I think) on the 2.2 bat, the
Enabled column appears twice.

Concerning Autochangers and knowing what is where, I have been considering
adding a new "status slots" command that will explicitly return what slots
the Autochanger thinks are available.  This would be something for the trunk,
but I think it could help users a lot, because currently when working with an
Autochanger, one is a bit blind ...

One change that I would like to see before 2.2.10 ships (probably in several
weeks) is to make qwt optional by #ifdefing it out.  This would vastly
simplify the building of bat and probably significantly encourage its use.

Also, Riccardo, there may be a project that would interest you, and that is
translating Bat.  We have it partially translated into French, but the
problem is that we have not been careful enough in the source code to flag
all the translatable strings, and much worse, in a number of places, we have
strings coming from the Director that may or may not be translated depending
on the state of the Director.  This makes doing any translation of bat a very
delicate and difficult job.  It really needs a lot of thought.

It seems to me that ideally, the API should all be in English and never
translated (currently parts of it may inadvertently get translated), and then
the Director should inform bat what language the main Director strings are in
(i.e. are they in English or Italian).  That could help bat making
intelligent choices of how to handle things -- particularly column headings
and the such.

> Dirk, what do you think ? Am I on the right track ?

Yes, thanks, you are helping a lot.

PS: I have copied the bacula-devel list so that they know a bit of what is
going on.  This will surely interest Eric who has been having problems I
mentioned above with the French translation of bat that has been urgently
requested by Mandriva.