Re: [Bacula-devel] Spooling before mounting

On Monday 21 April 2008 21:24:38 Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> 21.04.2008 20:51, Dan Langille wrote:
> > With a job that will be spooling data, the spooling phase does not
> > happen until after the Volume is mounted.
> >
> > Is it a big deal to allow the spooling to start first, then when
> > completed, ask for the Volume?
>
> As far as I know - and that's not very far - it is a major redesign of
> parts of Bacula.

Yes, exactly. The spool file was designed to be temporary, which means if the
job fails because in the end there is no Volume available (there could be
lots of reasons ...) then the spool file will be lost.  See below ...

> > A user asked about this as a performance enhancement.   Performance
> > enhancement?  how?  If Friday's backups are waiting until Monday
> > morning when you get in, then you're that hour or two ahead of the game.
> >
> > To me, it's no big deal..  But to some, it is.
>
> For those I would recommend to consider using the spool space as a
> disk backup area and later migrate to tape.

Yes, exactly (again).  This is one of the major reasons why migration was
implemented.