Re: [Bacula-devel] Automatic volume recycling not working withoutbacula restart (2.3.22 SVN)

> Hi!
>
> I'm running Bacula 2.3.22 SVN development version (from
> last thursday or so)
> on CentOS 5.1 x86 and I've noticed a reproducible
> problem..
>
> My pool looks like this:
>
> Pool {
>  Name = Pool1
>  Pool Type = Backup
>  Recycle = yes
>  AutoPrune = yes
>  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
>  Use Volume Once = yes
>  Maximum Volume Bytes = 256M
>  Volume Retention = 1 min
>  Maximum Volumes = 8
>  Label Format =
>  Label Format = "Pool1-Vol-"
>  Storage = FileStorage1
> }
>
> The problem is with recycling of the volumes.. as you can
> see the volume
> retention time is 1 minute, and there's a small MB limit
> for each volume for
> easy testing..
>
> Ok.. so I start from scratch with an empty mysql
> database. When all of the volumes are either Full or
> Used, bacula starts saying "Cannot find any appendable
> volumes" and "Please use the "label"  command to create a
> new Volume for"..
>
> In my testing setup it takes 2 full backup jobs to get
> all the volumes
> used/full, so the third full backup job is the one that
> doesn't work anymore
> because the volumes are not recycled..
>
> When I list the volumes with "list media pool=Pool1"
> everything looks
> correct.. VolStatus is either Full or Used for all
> volumes, Recycle flag is
> set and VolRetention is 60 seconds just like it should
> be.. and still bacula
> doesn't detect anything to prune/recycle.
>
> The interesting part is that when I now stop bacula (all
> daemons), and then
> restart them it starts to work.. now bacula automatically
> prunes/recycles the volumes!
>
> Any idea what's causing this? I've tried this at least 4
> times now..
> dropping the database, logs and all volumes between test
> runs and it's
> always the same.. without bacula daemon(s) restart it
> doesn't work.
>
> -- Pasi

It's possible that there is some kind of assumptions in the code, that volumes do not get old in 16 seconds.

Dunno. You may have to dig in the source code and if you find a bug, file a bug report. For reasonable retention times it just works.