[Bacula-devel] Fwd: [Bacula-users] bacula-dir virtual memory limit during restore

Hello,

It was suggested that I forward this email to the bacula developers
list.

In the time after I had sent this message originally I have been able
to compile bacula without the smartalloc routines.  This required
some hacking of the code because, despite the many #ifdef's blocking
smartalloc definitions, much of the code is still dependent on the
routines.  Regardless, the code did compile but does not run
(segmentation fault).

I now suspect the issue is not in the smartalloc routines but in the
mem_pool functions.  However, the configure script includes the
directive '--enable-smartalloc' which it lists as disabled by
default.  The directive should read enabled by default.  Considering
the difficulty in compiling without smartalloc I would suggest
removing the '--enable-smartalloc' directive altogether because as
the statement currently reads it suggests that we have a choice in
smartallocs enable/disablement, which we do-- if we're willing to
hack the code and then locate the reasons for the memory fault.

I have tried various restore commands all to poor effect

restore client=<client> current select all done (result-- hang)
restore client=<client> jobid=<jobid> select all done (result-- hang)
restore client=<client> jobid=<jobid> all done (result -- hang)

My next step is to try, or rather, I am trying at this moment

bconsole
@output /var/tmp/files.txt
*query
*12 (List Files for a selected JobId)
*<jobid>
. . . wait for 6.5 millions files to be dumped to files.txt
*@output
*quit

massage data so that it represents a single list of 6.5 millions
files with no extraneous spaces or '|' separators as given by the
above command

bconsole
restore
7 (enter a list of files to restore)
Enter full filename: <files.txt

I have no idea whether the above will work because it's taking
forever and a day to pull the information necessary from catalog to
perform the restore.  As I mention below, I don't have forever and a
day to wait-- I have 36 hours and a coffee break.

I'm willing to wade through code if necessary but I'd really
appreciate it if someone could at least show me where the shallow
water is.  As stated, I don't have that much time, or rather, I
haven't been given much time to recover the 2.5 terabytes of data
before I am asked to leave.  If the later occurs then I suppose I
will have quite a bit of time on my hands.

Thank you.

	John Kloss.

Begin forwarded message: