Re: [Bacula-devel] Winbacula VSS errors but job still terminates with OK

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm in the process of testing Bacula 2.3.22 (SVN) server and I noticed when I
> backup winbacula 2.2.10-b4 client (windows 2003 r2 sp2 32bit) 50% of the
> backup jobs fail with "ERR=Access is denied" error..
>
> bconsole says this:
>
> JobId 5: Generate VSS snapshots. Driver="VSS Win 2003", Drive(s)="C"
> JobId 5:      Could not stat C:/Program Files: ERR=Access is denied.
>
> My test backup job for that client is trying to backup only "c:\program files".
> The same error seems to happen also if I try to backup some other directory.
>
> Winbacula runs as SYSTEM user on Windows. Next time when I run the job it
> works just fine.. and the next time it fails.. and the next time it works.
>
> Exactly every second works and every second fails..

Can you disable any antivirus or antispyware when you run bacula and
see if you get the same behavior?

> I don't know if Windows VSS goes into some bad state because of Bacula or if
> that's some problem with Windows itself.. or some application installed on
> Windows. Windows event log doesn't have any errors or warnings.
>
> The alarming thing is that when the job fails with that "ERR=Access is denied"
> zero files and zero mbytes are backup up.. but the job status is still
> "Backup OK -- with warnings"..
>
> I think that's definitely not OK.. the whole backup has failed but the
> status is still "OK"..

Although I think the warning was by design (too many errors with VSS)
I will have to leave this one up to the developers.

John