Re: [Bacula-devel] Patch: Migration jobmedia table insert incomplete

<kern@xxxxxxxxxxx> aka Kern Sibbald  schrieb
mit Datum Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:11:26 +0100 in m2n.bacula.devel:

Hello Kern,

 reporting back. There were soem things that kept me occupied, so
sorry for the late reaction.

|Your preliminary patch probably corrects a good number of problems, but it
|also suffers from two things that I can see:
|
|1. dev can change during execution of the code if the device is switched.
|Therefore, at this top level routine, it must be reloaded each time it is
|referenced

Ups. Well yes, I should have thought about why the records are done
alright for the second and further extents ("files" on target tape).

[structural design matters]
|What do you think?

Well, I think, lets first have a look at another issue that I had
with migration, because there it seems more difficult to address it
in a well-structured way.
Over all, migration is an incredibly valuable function, because it
elevates Bacula from "something that makes backups" into a
management tool for all kinds of archived data. All the things
like copying storage, reorganizing storage etc. open up from here.
But, as I see it, when we start using it in such a way, we will
currently run into some deficiencies, and from there it may be
worth thinking about how much extra structure might be necessary
to get it together flawlessly.

best regards,
PMc