Re: [Bacula-devel] libdbi backend to catalog database

On Sunday 24 February 2008 21.24:21 Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 09:02:59PM +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > I think you should add a new configure option:
> >
> >   --with-dbi-driver=xxx
> >
> > this will be a bit complicated, because you will need to check if xxx is
> > one of our supported databases, then find the path to the program so that
> > it can be properly put into the scripts so that the tables will be
> > created. You need to set two variables for substitution:
> >
> >    SQL_BINDIR       points to directory where binary program resides
> >    DB_TYPE           the name of the binary program (e.g. pgres, mysql,
> > ...)
> >
> > Once you have defined those two substitution variables in configure.in,
> > everything should work correctly.
>
> But then we loose part the flexibility which dbi gives us otherwise. I
> always hated that database backend of bacula was configured
> compile-time.

We are not configuring anything into Bacula at compile time. Our discussion
involves how to get the right scripts setup so that the user can setup his
database without a lot of manual intervention.  These steps are not required
to run the program, just useful for autoconfiguring it.

> This way it was impossible to create generic binary
> packages with Bacula. So in the PLD (Linux distribution I make some
> packages for) we provide binary bacula packages with sqlite support (the
> worst backend, but with the least extra requirements like a server set up)
> and if anyone wanted something else he had to compile the packages manually
> with special options.
>
> So, I was very happy when read about the DBI support. That would solve
> the last Bacula problem bothering me. But the suggestion above would
> break the thing again.
>
> IMHO it should be possible to compile Bacula in a such way so it could
> work with any database, depending only on the runtime configuration and,
> maybe, simple manual database setup (calling the right scripts to
> initialize the database).

This is exactly what we are talking about.  How to try to do the "manual"
database setup as automatically as possible.