Re: [Bacula-devel] Movement detection and funding

Hello,

On Saturday 23 February 2008 08.02:45 John Enok Vollestad wrote:
> The following is a showstopper for what I want to use Bacula for at work:
>
>     Item: 1 Accurate restoration of renamed/deleted files
>
> Since comercial alternatives is far from cheap it might be less
> expensive to fund the development of this features in Bacula.
>
> Do anyone have any estimate of what this would cost and how long it
> would take to get ready for production?

This project is already well underway, so no funding is required, though a
really nice contribution to the Bacula project or the developer would be much
appreciated.

The code is implemented and in what I would call a pre-alpha state. It
currently exists as a patch and if my review of the code goes well and on
schedule, the code should be integrated into the SVN trunk by next Monday.

There will then be some more work (certain details are not yet complete), and
a *lot* of testing to do.

Since we are all volunteers doing implementation for free, we do not feel
bound by any fixed schedules.  However, that said, I am currently planning
the official production release of the next version (which will have Accurate
backup) by the end of June 2008.  It can be tested at any time, but should be
ready for beta testing (of that feature) within about a month.

A good amount of the very low level routines of Bacula have been re-written
from scratch in this version, so the needed testing goes far beyond just
testing particular features.

> Understood that there might be
> an opportunity to use the validation mechanism during an backup.

I don't understand what you mean in the above sentence. Could you explain?

> We can of course do a lot of the testing.

That would *really* be appreciated.

> We are currently using Legato to tape (LTO2) today but the restore time
> is too long and it lack movement detection as far as I have understood.
> Backup to disk would therefore require a lot of full backups to have
> backups without too large differences from the source thus require a lot
> more diskspace thereby making it more expensive.

Well, I would really be pleased if we can provide an important feature that
Networker does not have.  I do know that TSM has this feature, but as with
Bacula the admin must explicitly enable it as it requires additional
resources (searches) to implement.

> We have the following system to backup:
> 10TB of data
> 55GB of changes every day
>
> Retention time 1 year but we do not need to keep every single day for a
> full year.

That sounds pretty typical (not particularly large) of the kinds of Backups
that are being done using Bacula.

> As for hardware we wanted to use an areca 1680 controller and
> SAS-extenders between some supermicro boxes and large disks.

Uh, hopefully someone else can comment on those since I don't know what they
are (well supermicro boxes and big disks do make sense) ...

PS: I have added bacula-users to the list so that they can see what is
coming :-)