Re: [Bacula-devel] Bacula 2.2.8 segfaulting with multiple autochangers

On Thursday 21 February 2008 00.41:31 Clint Byrum wrote:
> Hi Kern.
>
> Maybe I was misunderstood. I'm not asking for support with running
> bacula. I have a working, healthy system. Rather, I was asking if you
> guys were interested in debugging a seg faulting process.
>
> No, I didn't read the kaboom section, so I didn't know that bacula will
> force itself to segfault. I generally jump to the conclusion that a
> segfault in one version that doesn't happen in the previous, working
> version, is a coding error, and want to help in debugging/fixing that. A
> crash caused solely by an upgrade performed according to the
> documentation is probably not really a "support issue", is it?
>
> I guess if you guys don't want help finding and fixing bugs.. I can
> respect that.

You shouldn't take my response in a negative way, it wasn't meant as such, and
I never intended to imply that we were not interested in finding and fixing
bugs.

I did tell you that we have a procedure that we follow before we (developers)
get involved, which involves having your problem reviewed by the bacula-users
list and providing us with appropriate information.  This is especially
important when the problem appears to be an incorrect setup. In your case,
after a quick look it appears to me that you are doing something unusual and
probably wrong (possibly running two SDs that point to the same drive???).
Maybe you weren't doing that, but it was not clear.  At this point it "seems"
to be a support issue.

I also pointed you to where to find information about what we need to debug
seg faults in the case that it really is a bug and not just the SD giving up
because it finds an impossible situation.

> It will probably take me a couple of weeks to fix or at least fully
> identify this problem by myself. Would it be out of line to post patches
> here, should I find that there is, in fact, a problem with the code?

If it is really a bug, posting fixes here is OK, but the *best* procedure is
to open a bug report (see www.bacula.org -> Bug Reports), even more so if you
do not have a solution or patch.

Kern