[Bacula-devel] Pre-alpha version of Bacula plugins working

Hello,

Mark today in your calendar.  Bacula just did its first backup and restore of a MySQL database using a plugin.
I did it with using a simplistic "pipe" plugin.

The operation consisted of adding the following line to the Include section of the FileSet:

                  1                    2                                  3                                               4
Plugin = "bpipe:/@MYSQL/regress.sql:mysqldump -f --opt --databases regress:mysql"

This plugin line goes in the FileSet section where you have your File = xxx lines, and
for this plugin is composed of 4 fields separated by colons (I've indicated the field
numbers above the Plugin line for reference only.

Field 1 specifies a specific plugin name (in this case bpipe).
Field 2 specifies the namespace (in this case the pseudo path/filename under which the
   backup will be saved -- this will show up in the restore tree selection).
Field 3 is the "reader" shell command used for doing a backup.  Since this is a pipe
   plugin (Linux shared object), it does a popen() on that command.
Field 4 is the "writer" shell command used for doing the restore.

I created a MySQL database named regress, populated it, backed it up, dropped
the database, then I restored the "file" /@MYSQL/regress.sql, and the database was
restored.  There is nothing magical about /@MYSQL/...  It is just something unique
and distinctive enough that it will not be confused with another file on the system.

As I mentioned, this is a rather trivial example of what can be done with a simple
pipe plugin.  As it stands, bpipe knows nothing about MySQL (it is 365 lines of
C code), but it could be any shared object that can implement a C interface,
and I could imagine for example a MySQL specific plugin which could all databases
or a list of databases.  Also, Bacula was running with an SQLite database -- it certainly
would not work very well if Bacula were using the MySQL database in question
during the restore ...

Obviously, this is a first cut and there remains a lot to be done (much clean up, a lot of
additional implementation, error message implementation, and documentation), but
at least it is now a full proof of concept.

By the way, this is an example of what I call a "plugin command", where a specific plugin
is referenced, and it backs up a specific file (or set of files).  I have also planned plugins
that will be called when particular Options are met (i.e. to backup all .gz files, ...).  However,
I am putting off implementation of those plugins until later.