Re: [Bacula-devel] new catalog backup script

Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello Dan,
>
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 12.47:22 Dan Langille wrote:
>> I've been in touch with the Ubuntu folks regarding our backup script.  Ante
>> Karamatić has sent me a script which parses bacula-dir.conf to extract the
>> login information.  The script is invoked with the name of the Catalog you
>> wish to backup.
>>
>> This has two benefits:
>>
>> - There is nothing for the user to configure.  It uses bacula-dir.conf
>> - no passwords
>>

> Yes, this is nice.  I trust that it is driven by the database name within
> Bacula since Bacula can have multiple catalogs ...
>
>> The initial proof-of-concept script was written in Python and worked only
>> with MySQL.  After they got it working, they sent it to me and I quickly
>> got it working with PostgreSQL.
>
> Great.
>
>> Ubuntu are now asking us if awk would be preferable over Pyton?
>
> I suspect that awk would be much more portable on Unix systems.
>
> However, it might even be a good idea to write a simple tool for Bacula in
> C/C++ that will extract the information.  That way, it would be portable to
> any system including Win32.
>
> If it is already written in Python, and no one really wants to program in
> C/C++ I will even volunteer for the project.  It would be nice to see their
> Python program as they may have some good ideas for a simple parser.

I think that keeping it in a script means it is easier for others to alter.
  For Windows users, we can give them the old script...Python runs on
Windows... they can have the proof of concept script

There is also gawk for Windows:

   gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gawk.htm

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference: http://www.bsdcan.org/