Re: [Bacula-devel] new catalog backup script

Hello Dan,

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 12.47:22 Dan Langille wrote:
> I've been in touch with the Ubuntu folks regarding our backup script.  Ante
> Karamatić has sent me a script which parses bacula-dir.conf to extract the
> login information.  The script is invoked with the name of the Catalog you
> wish to backup.
>
> This has two benefits:
>
> - There is nothing for the user to configure.  It uses bacula-dir.conf
> - no passwords

Yes, this is nice.  I trust that it is driven by the database name within
Bacula since Bacula can have multiple catalogs ...

> The initial proof-of-concept script was written in Python and worked only
> with MySQL.  After they got it working, they sent it to me and I quickly
> got it working with PostgreSQL.

Great.

> Ubuntu are now asking us if awk would be preferable over Pyton?

I suspect that awk would be much more portable on Unix systems.

However, it might even be a good idea to write a simple tool for Bacula in
C/C++ that will extract the information.  That way, it would be portable to
any system including Win32.

If it is already written in Python, and no one really wants to program in
C/C++ I will even volunteer for the project.  It would be nice to see their
Python program as they may have some good ideas for a simple parser.

> My opinion: awk will be in the base system of most operating systems.
> Python might not be.  Both are acceptable to me.
>
> After we get the devel opinion, we'll post this to users@ too.

Yes, this is a very nice solution.  Please thank them for their ideas and for
working on it :-)

Kern